Jun 1, 2011

Collections

col·lec·tion

[kuh-lek-shuhn] 
–noun
1.
the act of collecting.
2.
something that is collected;  a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, especially for some purpose or as a result of some process: a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.
3.
the works of art constituting the holdings of an art museum: a history of the museum and of the collection.
I guess I've always been a collector. As a little kid, I remember collecting toads and newts from the window wells, keeping them in a box, admiring them and setting them free. As a young lady I collected anything with a butterfly on it (it was the 90's). I even cut apart dozens of scientific reference books on butterflies and had little paper butterflies taped all over my bedroom. As a teenager I collected cameras and camera equipment. As I get older my collections have changed, but the act of collecting remains the same. 

These days I keep my eyes peeled for paper moons, ball or atlas jars, wooden spools, vintage dresses, old childrens toys, music boxes, and discarded playing cards. 




 What do you collect? 

No comments:

Post a Comment